Friday, October 5, 2007

October in The Lou



OK, for those of you who don't know me, I am a true lover of my hometown. There is no other place I'd rather live than St. Louis. I am a full-blooded St. Louisan. This city is totally great. Well, most of the year anyway. Why I might consider buying a house in which to vacation: THE FUCKING WEATHER SYSTEM. I don't know what it is about a city nestled between two big rivers, but our weather is totally jacked up. It's fucking October and the bank on the corner just blurted out in big lights that the current temp is 95! What the hell is this? Also, for those of you who have not experienced the joy of St. Louis humidity, let me just tell you that you need the sharpest knife in the world to cut through it on hot days. Texas, Florida, Georgia - you've got NOTHING on us. I'm actually pissed about it because the run/walk thing has been going so well and now I have a day that makes me want to die the second I step out my front door. So I think I'm going to try and suck it up for at least a mile and see what happens. If I don't make it back, SY will have to follow through on our solemn pact and remove "certain unmentionables" from a drawer in a nightstand lest my whole family find out some things they really shouldn't know while divvying up my personal property. Maybe that's TMI. Oh well. Everyone's a freak. I'm out the door. We'll see how it goes.

Addendum: I just read bananafana's blog for today and she is pissed about the same thing...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aahhh... the humidity in The Lou... I almost miss it. ALMOST.

God, I hated how it rained a little very nearly every single day when I lived there. Weather aside, St Louis was my favorite place to live. The Muni, The Zoo, pretty much anything in the Park, Grant's Farm, The Bread Co.*sigh* There used to this Greek restaurant called The Olympia that I just loved.

How interesting that most of my favorite places in The Lou are food-related. : )

mom of the year said...

Me, too! Let's not forget THE HILL!!! YUMMY!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, lord. The Hill. And The Loop.
And fried ravioli. I'm getting on a plane THIS MINUTE!!

mom of the year said...

Yeah, totally. The Lou is long on great food. Hop on a plane right now and you can board here for free!!! Glad to see someone out there knows how cool this city is...

bananafana said...

I wouldn't live anywhere else either - just wish we could have a city wide air condition for outside. There is no where else in this country (and I know from traveling) where you can go to so many amazing places (AND FOR FREE)and eat such fantastic food. The Hill, Fitz's, South City Diner, Mama's Deli, oh my God I can't stop and now I'm HUNGRY. Take out and a trip to Laumeier, that's what I need

bananafana said...

BTW Erica - I used to go to the Olympia all the time with a friend of mine and it is STILL THERE. They just won best greek restaurant for 2007. ohhhh the flaming cheese. come visit some time and we'll take you to dinner (come on a cheat day!)